Follow Me on Pinterest

Friday, April 6, 2012

Citrus Cupcakes

Do you love Mountain Dew? I do. But I rarely drink it because I don't like to waste my calories on pop, and the diet stuff just isn't the same. But you know what's fun to waste calories on?


Cupcakes.


So I decided to try this recipie. I tweaked a few things, but in the end, I ended up with these...

Yummmmm.

If you are a fan of citrusy deliciousness, you MUST make these.

Here's what you'll need for the actual cupcake:
2 sticks of butter, softened
2 cups of sugar
Zest and juice from 1 lemon, 1 lime and half an orange (you'll use the other half for the frosting ;)
4 eggs
2 3/4 cups flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1 cup Mountain Dew

To make:

Preheat oven to 350.
Beat the butter, sugar and zest until fluffy. Beat in the eggs, one at a time.
In a separate bowl, combine the flour, baking powder and salt. Slowly beat the dry goods into your original mixture.
Add the citrus juices and Mountain Dew. Mix to combine.
Pour batter into paper lined or greased tins using 1/4 cup (this makes all your cupcakes the same size and they come out nice and round on the top)
*If using a mini muffin tin, use a heaping TBS to fill.

Bake for 18-20 minutes.
*mini muffins bake for 8 - 10 minutes.

I made 24 minis and 12 "big" cupcakes with this recipe.

Now for the frosting:
2 sticks butter
Zest and juice from half a lemon, half a lime and half an orange.
1/4 cup Mountain Dew
4 - 5 cups powdered sugar
Food coloring (whatever color you want your frosting to be!)

Beat the butter, citrus juice, zest and Mountin Dew until light and fluffy.
Add powdered sugar in small increments until you acheive your desired consistency.
Add food coloring.
Done!

When the cakes cool, frost them. Get creative if you like. My future hubby happened to bring home some colored sprinkles, so we added some of those too. And by we, I mean I had some extra help in the kitchen when these were made.

This is Dylan, future hubby's little brother, with his cupcakes.






And this is Little Sarah. Or just Sarah if I'm not around :) Future hubby's cousin.


Don't their cupcakes look great!!! They taste just as good!


Here's one more reason why you need make these...



How can you say no to that??


Thanks for stopping by!

p.s. I linked this yummy recipe to the Newlyweds Recipe Linky. You should check out all the tasty things others have posted too :)

2 comments:

  1. These look so good, I bet the mountain dew gives them a nice tang. Thanks for sharing on newlyweds recipe linky. I pinned this recipe, if you'd like follow me http://pinterest.com/newlyweds/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I already do! Thanks for giving us a place to share and discover new goodies!

      Delete